McAlpine Nursing Home
Now occupied by the The Glasgow School of Art, the former McAlpine Nursing Home building sits at the corner of Garnet Street (originally called Thistle Street) and Hill Street. Opened in 1908, it was a good example
of modern design in its time. There were 24 single bedrooms altogether. Six were at the back facing south for quiet and sunlight. Each one had a balcony. Behind the large windows on the top floor was the operating theatre. Payments were £4 4s for a single room (dressings and medicines were extra) and £8 8s for rooms with several beds.