The Glasgow School of Art
The Glasgow School of Art (GSA) was founded as Glasgow’s Government School of Design in 1845, later changing its name to become The Glasgow School of Art in 1853.
In 1897 work began on new building to house the School on Renfrew Street, funded by a donation of £14,000 from the Bellahouston Trust. The building was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, from the Glasgow firm of architects Honeyman and Keppie, who were chosen for the commission by the School’s Director, Francis Newbery.
The Mackintosh Building was damaged by fire on 23 May 2014 and was nearing the end of a period of restoration when a major fire broke out in June 2018.
The GSA has produced many of Scotland’s leading artists. In 2019, The Glasgow School of Art was placed in the QS world rankings Top Ten of universities for art and design.